September is almost here. It’s a new school year, a new season and a new life chapter. For some, it’s back to school; for others, it’s back to work; for others, it’s the start of a new school, a new job, a new career or a new workplace. We deal with the sadness of summer’s end and the stress of September’s start by going shopping and checking out the coolest fashions and footwear, the hottest technology tools and the latest in school and office supplies. As the mornings and evening get cooler, we find ourselves wanting warm and cosy linens, colourful and comfortable furniture and a large television to watch our favourite programs and movies.
Commit to make this a September to Remember. Set three goals this month to stop spending mindlessly and start saving mindfully.
Here are ten goals that you can choose from or create your own three goals:
1. Set a weekly spending limit on food.
2. Create and bring a list every time you go shopping for food.
3. Pay cash for every purchase.
4. Record all of your purchases for three days.
5. Go to the bank once a week and take out money rather than using a machine.
6. Set a limit for each weekly bank withdrawal.
7. Get crisp, new $5 bills rather than $10 or $20 bills.
8. Avoid going into any store for one day a week.
9. Allow yourself 24 hours before you decide to make a purchase.
10. Shop only at stores that have a full-refund return policy.
Once you have set your three goals, take some time to think about why you spend money. Is it to make yourself feel happy, better or important? Is it to impress others, to fit in or to get them to like you? Does having new stuff fill a void in your life?
Whatever the reason, if you set three goals to stop spending mindlessly and start saving mindfully and work at them every day for the next thirty days, here is what you will have in abundance by the end of September: money, knowledge, confidence, awareness and experience.